Wednesday, December 30, 2009

THE TORCH IS PASSING






Selfless, meekness, humbleness, unconditional love, welcoming - She never raised her voice or showed anger in any way.  Never took, just gave. She baked love into the biscuits she left on the old stove top for us to eat when we walked in after being greeted at the door with a huge smile and a, "Well, come on in!"  This is the grandmother that I had the privilege of growing up with.  The one that taught me about a full day's labor and the satisfaction it could bring, especially when you were rewarded after a long day of picking peas by getting to either pick a watermelon and share it with the cousins, or having your hard work compensated with a coca-cola.


Time goes by so quickly, and now she's gone to be with Jesus.  Now I'm the grandmother.  BUT, I'm not selfless, meek or humble.  I don't bake biscuits everyday.  I adore  my little grandson so much it physically hurts to see his little lip curl out in a pout when he's hungry. He is so blessed to be loved by so many. Doesn't he deserve to grow up with a grandmother like Mawmaw Johnson, all this and more?  The torch has been passed, but am I up to the challenge? I'm not.  The only hope I have is that I can die daily, and let Christ live in me. No, I'm not selfless, but Christ is.  I don't give unconditional love, but Christ does.  I'm not always welcoming and giving.  Christ is the only hope to be the grandmother that Mawmaw Johnson was.  Come to think of it, he was her only hope, too.


I Pet. 2:9-17 - Go ahead, look it up. It's worth it!!

3 comments:

Getting ready for Chengu, China said...

This is beautiful Terri, I know you can and probably are the grandma you are describing already. Your smile is always welcoming and loving to everyone and I know your love is real.
we love you and I was thinking that your husband told me that he might come visit... when will that be???
Happy New Year my friends!

Getting ready for Chengu, China said...

Terri, I wrote that comment NOT John, I do not know why my picture is not there instead of his...

Terri said...

Haha! I wondered if John really wrote that!