Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My version of Escalator High Five

Check out this Improve at:

http://colormekatie.blogspot.com/2009/02/high-five-escalator.html

I tried my version of this on my recent trip to NYC.  Among the many reasons I love to visit NYC is the fact that I can take a little Southern humor/hospitality to the big city.  A lot of people there are tired, over-worked, over-crowded, but not really connected with people.  I love to go and strike up random conversations.  So, I thought I'd try asking for "High Fives" as I passed people on the escalators.  My co-workers were laughing, but I thought, "I'll never see these people again", so I went for it.  As some tired workers got on the escalators at the end of a long day, I greeted them with a huge smile and a hand extended and said, "High five!".  Most people perked up and smiled and gave me a high five.  Some had their hands full, but gave me a smile.  But there was this one guy that gave me the worst greeting.  He withdrew his hand and gave me a snarl.  Guess what?  He was a Christian of some variety,  a minister, even.  He had a huge cross around his neck.  My friend said, "He loves Jesus, but he don't love you!".  I said, "That's an oxymoron, of sorts."  The more I thought about this, the more ernest I've prayed, "Lord, let me love your children regardless of race, religion, creed, sexual preference.  Let me love as you love."   We cannot love Jesus and not  LOVE  his creation.

1 comment:

Lynne Howard said...

Sounds like you had a great trip, Terri! Your love and joy are so needed in NYC, and I know you shared Christ's love with them in great ways! I can't believe that man had such a rude response...it's sad. NYC is a special mission field. It's awesome that you aren't afraid to go there and share Christ with them through smiles and love and helping them feel valued. We should all love as Christ loves.